October 16, 2011

Inspired by~

In 2005 I took a road trip to Bead and Button.  While there I had an opportunity to spend some time with a local friend who, knowing my love for turquoise, took me to the MECCA of Native American Jewelry galleries.  I'm talking display case after display case of the most beautifully crafted silver and turquoise adornments completely beyond anything you can imagine.  Mouth agape, I began scanning the treasures before I'd even made it all the way through the door.  By my second step inside I was already beelining toward a bracelet nestled midway on the 3rd shelf of a 6 foot long display cabinet.


To say I was impressed by this cuff handcrafted by a Navaho artisan is like saying puppies are kind of cute or 45 below zero is a little chilly.  I tried it on and was horribly disappointed when it didn't fit just right and I stood there turning it over in my hands unconvinced that I shouldn't buy it anyway.  I was in love.

The incredibly enabling helpful shop owner suggested I might try it on the other wrist, and the way it slipped on so perfectly made angels sing. 

She then showed me the matching ring....and I showed her my credit card. 


I wore it earlier this week and was inspired
to duplicate the style in bead embroidery.

With turquoise, of course~



I like to think my ancestors would be proud.


Taos
Natural Turquoise, Upcycled Leather
Cuff/Earring Set

$165

~~

10 comments:

  1. Girl, is there anything you can't do? You make the most gorgeous lampwork, and then you bead embroider like an angel! That is such a stunning set. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Then go give the cats a treat...just because. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you and I are turquoise sisters... so since you have the original bracelet, I think you know where the second sister bracelet should go... right? LOL

    What a gorgeous work of art dear sister! Love the set!
    {Hugs!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my girl...drooling all over the keyboard. So pretty and gorgeous and ME WANT NOW!

    You do gorgeous work and what a wonderful shop owner to help you with your purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!!! Drooled, licked screen, fainted....repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juls, I love your set and the gorgeous cuff you got back in 2005.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo! TWINSTER! That is a RAD set of hardware from the Native Peeps! You were MEANT to have it...and that it inspired that gorgeo-riffic cuff/earrings you made is DOUBLE rad! Who are your native peeps? I am a card carryin' member of the Sault Ste Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians (my peeps in Michigan). I think we really ARE twinsters!! I'm quite sure the ancestors are proud. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bracelet you purchased & the bracelet you made are stunning!! I grew up in Farmington, NM with the Navajo Reservation right up the road. I didn't appreciate it then, but I LOVE the southwestern look, especially now that I'm older & far, far from home! My grandma gave me her gorgeous silver & turquoise, hand-crafted jewelry (including a stunning squash blossom necklace) about a year ago so I'm very lucky & honored to have a piece (or more) of that history, craftsmanship, & beauty! Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am right with you on turquoise and silver. Love it. I have some beautiful pieces from when I lived in CA. They bracelet and ring you bought are gorgeous. I am blown away by the ones you made!! I don't do bead embrodiery but I love it - just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Both are beautiful. But I have to say, I think I like yours best :)

    ReplyDelete