October 17, 2009

The Art of Love

I started this piece 2 years ago with the outline of my left hand. I originally intended to paint it using the colors of my life, but after seeing it lay on my table for months I still hadn't picked up a brush. Not only did I not know where to start, I lacked the inspiration. So I put it away.

I have a habit of sharing dates that are important with the memories that make them matter. It was one such day that I chanced upon this canvas while retrieving a photo album from the closet. I was overcome with emotion and instead of acknowledging the day with photographs I chose to experience it in a new way~ to travel the road from beginning to end, to allow myself to remember everything...even the parts that would be easier forgotten.

I laughed and I cried. I felt the regret that has whispered to be acknowledged and the joy that time can never diminish. Mostly, I was filled with love and gratitude for all of it. I did little else for the days it took to complete. When the last bead was stitched I put it back in the closet. Then I slept for 13 hours.

It is another year later and I have finished it. A simple and anticlimactic ending to a beautiful experience that has taught me so much about myself. And maybe that's the point. Time brings change, and while I might wish for the chance to go back as the person I am now, I am thankful for the blessings which make that impossible.

The Promise~


I wish you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment